POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Unrealistic metals : Unrealistic metals Server Time
3 Aug 2024 16:23:56 EDT (-0400)
  Unrealistic metals
From: Bjorn Jonsson
Date: 26 Dec 2003 15:35:14
Message: <MPG.1a56abe37b4346cb98968d@news.povray.org>
I'm making a POV model of NASA's Cassini spacecraft. Needless to say
it's built largely using metals, meaning I've been using stuff from
metals.inc extensively. The problem is that these metals do not look
realistic in the blackness of space because the shadowed parts of the
spacecraft become 'self illuminating' and therefore have a very flat and
unrealistic appearance. The reason is the high ambient values used in
metals.inc. I've tried making my own metals by using a far lower value
for ambient but I'm not happy although this resulted in some
improvement. Most of the spacecraft now looks rather dark, even after I
added several secondary lightsources. Any suggestions ?

--
Bjorn Jonsson / bjj### [at] ZZZmmediais
Address changed to avoid spam. Remove YYY and ZZZ to reply.